its road trip and remained in San Diego to continue | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LAM Oct 11
TROON, Scotland -- Like many golf fans around the world, Jack Nicklaus was riveted by the final round of The Open on Sunday. Mitchell Robinson Jersey . And he believes the play of winner Henrik Stenson and runner-up Phil Mickelson surpassed that of his famed encounter with Tom Watson known as the Duel in the Sun.Our final round was really good, Nicklaus wrote on Facebook,?but theirs was even better.Stenson matched a major championship record by shooting a 63, becoming only the second player to do so in the final round and win.Mickelson, a five-time major champion who won the 2013 Open, stayed mostly shot for shot with Stenson until the end, his bogey-free 65 not enough.I was fortunate to watch every second of todays final round of the Open Championship, and I thought it was fantastic, Nicklaus wrote. Phil Mickelson played one of the best rounds I have ever seen played in The Open and Henrik Stenson just played better -- he played one of the greatest rounds I have ever seen.Stenson, 40, became the first male Swedish golfer to win a major championship and moved to No. 5 in the Official World Golf Ranking.Mickelson, 46, was bidding to become the fourth-oldest major winner and join Nick Faldo and Lee Trevino with six majors. His score of 267 was 11 strokes better than third-place J.B. Holmes?and?would have won 140 of the 145 Opens played.Phil certainly has nothing to be ashamed of because he played wonderfully, Nicklaus wrote. Henrik played well from the beginning to end. He drove the ball well; his iron game was great; his short game was wonderful; and his putting was great. Henrik was simply terrific.To win your first major championship is something special in and of itself, but to do in the fashion Henrik did it in, makes for something very special and incredibly memorable. Im proud of and happy for Henrik.Nicklaus, 76, won The Open three times as part of his 18 major championships. But one of the more memorable tournaments was his 1977 loss to Watson at Turnberry, about 20 miles south of Royal Troon.Watson and Nicklaus had the same score through 54 holes, shooting the same score each round -- including third-round 65s.Grouped again for the final round, Watson shot 65 to Nicklaus 66 in what is considered one of the sports epic showdowns. Nicklaus finished 10 strokes ahead of Hubert Green, who famously quipped afterward: I won the golf tournament. I dont know what game those other guys were playing.Wrote Nicklaus on Sunday: Some in the media have already tried to compare todays final round to 1977 at Turnberry, with Tom Watson and me in what they called the Duel in the Sun. I thought we played great and had a wonderful match.On that day, Tom got me, 65-66. Our final round was really good, but theirs was even better. What a great match today. Tim Hardaway Jr. Jersey .Y. -- Bills receiver Stevie Johnson has a bone to pick with the NFL schedule maker. Anthony Mason Jersey . Pert has formerly spent time as an assistant coach with Cardiff City, Coventry City, and Bahrain mens national team. "Martyn is a highly-respected coach with experience at the top levels in England," said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. http:///...asley-knicks-jersey/ . -- Stanfords Kevin Danser knelt on one knee and hardly moved on the sideline as Michigan State celebrated its Rose Bowl victory and his Cardinal teammates made their way to the locker room. SAN FRANCISCO -- The same team that sent the San Francisco Giants into their post-All-Star break funk just handed them another frustrating defeat.Paul Clemens fought through flu symptoms to combine with five relievers on a five-hit shutout, and the San Diego Padres beat San Francisco 4-0 Monday night.The loss came at a time when the Giants appeared to be coming out of a second-half swoon. They gained two games on the NL West-leading Dodgers last weekend with a three-game sweep in Arizona.But their latest defeat ended a streak of 11 consecutive home wins against the Padres and, more importantly, dropped San Francisco four games behind Los Angeles.With 19 games left, however, the Giants still lead the race for the leagues top wild card.The Giants had the best record in the majors going into the All-Star break. Then they were swept in San Diego during a three-game series that started a 1-7 road trip and set the tone for their miserable second half.San Francisco is tied with Arizona for the worst record in the majors since the All-Star Game.Weve had guys hot and cold since the break. We have not been consistent with our lineup, manager Bruce Bochy said. It looked like we came out of it in Arizona. It sure looks bad to get shut out when you get back home the first day, but were staying behind these guys.Hector Sanchez homered and singled twice against his former club. Yangervis Solarte drove in two runs and Luis Sardinas added two hits while helping the Padres to their fourth consecutive win over the Giants.San Francisco was 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position.We hit some balls hard, we just couldnt get anything to fall in and when we put guys on base we couldnt get a hit, Bochy said. Youve got to hit with runners on base and that was not there tonight. We had some pretty good hitters up there, too. We just couldnt get that big hit to get us rolling.Sanchez spent his first five seasons in San Francisco as a backup behind four-time All-Star catcher Buster Posey and had homered only twice previously at AT&T Park before hitting a 2-2 pitch from starter Jeff Samardzija ((11-10) into the stands above the brick wall in right field with one out in the sixth. Allan Houston Jersey. Were playing good ball there (in Arizona) and even in Colorado we were playing good ball, too, Samardzija said. You want to come out and throw some zeros and give us a chance to win the game, and unfortunately they scraped a few across that ended up being the difference.Samardzija allowed four runs over six innings. He struck out six and walked one.That two-run homer put a sour taste in my mouth, Samardzija said. Unfortunately, I left a splitter a little bit up in the zone and he was able to put a barrel on the ball.Clemens (3-5) wasnt able to do his normal between-starts work because of his health but showed no lingering effects while pitching five gritty innings to end San Franciscos three-game winning streak. The right-hander allowed three hits, walked one and struck out two.HOT HUNTERHunter Pence continued his hot hitting for the Giants, going 2 for 4. Hes batting .650 (13 for 20) over his last five games.TRAINERS ROOMPadres: Manager Andy Green said RHP Tyson Ross (right shoulder inflammation) hasnt progressed as quickly as the team had hoped and isnt likely to pitch again this season. Ross did not accompany the club on its road trip and remained in San Diego to continue throwing. ... OF Travis Jankowski left the team to be with his family in Pennsylvania for personal reasons.Giants: 3B Eduardo Nunez was a late scratch because of back tightness. ... Relief pitcher Derek Law threw a simulated game and is likely to be activated from the disabled list Wednesday. ... OF Gregor Blanco (shoulder) is making progress and took swings before the game.UP NEXTPadres: LHP Clayton Richard (2-3) pitches the middle game of the series Tuesday night in his sixth start since being signed as a free agent on Aug. 6.Giants: RHP Albert Suarez (3-3) makes his 10th career start but first against San Diego. Suarez faced the Padres as a reliever earlier this season. Wholesale Jerseys From China China Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale NFL Autographed Jerseys NFL Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Autographed Jerseys Nike NFL Jerseys China China NFL Hoodies Cheap NFL Gear Discount NFL Jerseys Cheap Stitched Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Throwback Wholesale Jerseys From China Discount NFL Jerseys Jerseys NFL Cheap ' ' '